Overview of Accreditation Process
- Step 1: The process usually begins in January of the first year, when the institutioná requests accreditation for its programs.
- Step 2: The campus visit is usually conducted between September and December of the first year.
- Step 3:á After the visit, the Team Chair develops a Draft Statement to the institution by editing and combining the material written by the Program Evaluators and adding material that applies to the institution as a whole.
- Step 4: The Draft Statement is reviewed by two Editors from the respectiveCommission and by ABET headquarters staff for adherence to standards and consistency with other Draft Statements.
- Step 5: The edited Draft Statement is sent to the institution, which has 30 days to respond
- Step 6: The Team Chair uses the response from the institution to prepare the Final Statement, which again is edited and then provided to the full Commission for action.
- Step 7: Final accreditation decisions are made at the Summer Commission Meeting in July of the second year.